The Best Swedish Keto Cheesecake EVER!
Swedish Cheesecake (Ostkaka)
Yesterday I made one of my specialties – Swedish cheesecake. Despite the similarity in literal translation, Swedish cheesecake should not be confused with cheesecake which is a layered cake. Swedish cheesecake is made with eggs, but there is no crumb base and the ‘cheese’ is cottage cheese rather than cream cheese. Actually traditionally you first add rennet to milk to make your own curds. However, cottage cheese is commonly used instead as a simplified, speeded up version. Using cottage cheese, this becomes a very quick dessert to mix up and then you just leave it to bake in a low oven.
My version of the Swedish cheesecake is free from sugar and carbs.
This recipe is super easy to make. Just mix all of the ingredients, put it in a pan and in the oven until it’s firm. It’s one of those fuss-free recipes that yield very impressive results. The cheesecake has a creamy consistency and it’s gently almond flavored.
This cheesecake is perfect as a healthy snack with berries and cottage cheese.
Swedish cheesecake is usually eaten lukewarm with different jams, typically cloudberry, cherries or strawberry though lingonberry is often used, as well as fruits and whipped cream. The reason for eating Swedish cheesecake while it is lukewarm is that if eaten too warm, the delicate flavors of the ostkaka will not come through, and if eaten too cold the consistency will be too firm and heavy.
Ingredients, Servings: 8 depending on appetite.
1/2 cup almonds
5 Bitter almonds *
2 1/4 cups cottage cheese
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup Erythritol (sugar alcohol naturally derived from plant sources)
2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350F/175C and lightly grease a tin or ceramic dish (approximately 7 x 12 inches).
- Ground the almonds and bitter almonds.
- Put all of the ingredients in a food processor and blend well.
- Pour the mixture into your tin/dish and bake for around 55 minutes until it rises up and is lightly browned on top.
- When the cheesecake is cooked enough, remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Serve warm or lukewarm topped with berries and cottage cheese or whipped cream.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN:
|Gluten free pancakes >>||Chiapudding & strawberries >>||The Flour Free Bread, LCHF >|